Women’s bodies go through tremendous changes over the years. These changes take their toll on how your body is shaped, and particularly on the breasts. Some of the things that can affect the shape of your breasts include:
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Weight fluctuations
- Skin elasticity
- The pull of gravity
With time, you may begin to notice that your breasts droop as if being pulled down to the ground. Should you find that you are not happy with the sag of your breasts, you should definitely consider having a breast lift. With this simple surgery, your breasts can take on a more attractive and youthful appearance.
Are you a candidate for a breast lift?
Not everyone is a good candidate for this procedure. However, the following are ideal for a breast lift:
- If your nipples are pointing downwards or your breasts are sagging
- If you have elongated or flat breasts
- If your breasts are no longer firm and shapely
- If one of your breasts tends to be lower than the other
- If pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss have changed how your breasts are shaped
- If whenever you take off your bra the nipples tend to fall below the breast’s crease
- If you are not a smoker and are within your healthy weight
Dr. Kirman removes excess skin when carrying out a breast lift and then tightens up the underlying tissue. If needed, he may also contour the breasts to improve their shape.
Why this procedure?
A breast lift does not make use of breast implants because the purpose is not to give you bigger breasts. It simply boosts what you already have. Usually the changes that cause your breasts to droop include losing weight, pregnancy and aging. Even though your breasts lose their shape, you are not doomed to live with that deflated look forever. If all you want to do is improve their appearance without necessarily increasing their size, then the best procedure for you is a breast lift.
Who should consider a different procedure?
This procedure is not ideal for everyone. You should consider a different procedure if you fall in any of the following categories:
- If your breasts are very large and are drooping or sagging because of their large size. If this is the case, a better procedure may be a breast reduction, which will give your breasts a natural and youthful appearance while relieving back strain.
- If you are still having children, it is also better to wait until you are done because pregnancy as well as breast feeding will affect how your breasts look, their size and their shape as well.
- If your breasts are small and you want to increase their size – A breast lift does not give more volume so it may be a good idea to have a breast augmentation as well if you would like to have a fuller bust.
If you are considering this procedure, you should think of what makes you happy since this procedure is all about you. It is a good idea to first discuss the entire procedure with your plastic surgeon ahead of time. Be thorough when asking questions so you can learn all that you need to know and have confidence in the ability of your surgeon.