Flooring Sets Tone for Home Décor
When you walk into a room, it’s likely the first thing you notice is the flooring. After all, it may be the largest expanse in the space, and it tends to catch the eye. There are many options in flooring, and a lot of the decision depends on where you live, how you live, and what will add value to your home. Let’s take a look at some of the ways your floors can play a major role in your décor.
There is a vast array of possibilities if you are considering using tiles in your home. Not only are there tons of material choices, there a hundreds of different colors and styles as well. Plus, if you live in a part of the country with warm weather, tile flooring is cooler and easier to clean than carpet. Take a look at these options.
- Porcelain: These tiles can be made to mimic the look of many types of natural stone at a fraction of the price.
- Natural stone: A more costly but elegant option. Slate is a popular choice for large-scale tiles.
- Glass: Often created in smaller sizes, it can give a modern or retro look with equal success.
For homes in colder parts of the nation, many people prefer to use mostly carpet in their homes because of its warmth, foot-feel, and soundproofing qualities. Here are some popular choices.
- Colors: Many customers are eschewing the traditional beiges and choosing brighter colors instead. This approach truly acts as part of any room’s décor.
- Patterns: Lots of the new options in carpets feature low pile with swirls or grids woven into patterns. The texture this creates makes carpets more eye catching.
- Tiles: Easy to replace, carpet tiles can be installed in a color blocking format for added visual interest.
From laminate to engineered wood to natural wood, this flooring material has been favored for centuries and continues to be a top choice among homeowners. Look at these trendy options.
- Hand-scraped: Usually used on real wood planks, this textural variation gives the impression of handcrafted design.
- Engineered: This product in manufactured by putting real wood on top of plywood to cut down on cupping and warping.
- Other materials: Popular flooring alternatives include bamboo, which is a grass, and laminate planks, which gives any room the look of wood but is man-made.
Because the flooring sets the tone of any room, there is good reason to really consider how any material will work in your space and how it will integrate with the rest of the decor.