I found this Banana bread Recipe in a Betty Crocker Cookbook and made a few changes One I cut the sugar to 1 cup, then I didnt have the egg substitute so I used 2 eggs.I didnt have buttermilk so I made my own using 1 tsp of lemon juice in 1/2 cup milk. This is a very versatile recipe you can do a lot with it. You could add cinnamon, nutmeg or chopped apples. Or you could make a crumb topping. And I sprinkled sugar on the tops of the loaves.
If you have self rising flour omit the soda and salt.
Mini Banana Breads make great gifts! To make, grease bottoms only of 10 miniature loaf pans, 4 1/2x2 3/4x1 1/4 inches. Divide batter among pans (about 1/2 cup each). Bake 30 to 35 minutes.
Additions: Stir 1/4 cup miniature or regular chocolate chips into the batter for mouthwatering flavor combinations.
Baking time: The original recipe says to bake 1 1/4 hour, I set my timer for 50 minutes and checked with toothpick, it was done.
- 11/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product
- 1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
- 1/2 buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts if desired
- 1-Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2 inches, or 1 loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches.
- 2-Mix sugar, applesauce and margarine in large bowl. Stir in egg product until well blended. Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Stir in nuts. Pour into pans.
- 3-Bake 8-inch loaves about 1 hour, 9-inch loaf about 1 1/4 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour, before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.
After baking I immediately removed from pans for cooling, and of course didnt want to wait until they were cool, so I sliced some off to have a taste, YUM!! My husband said, “this wont last long”. This is a lighter version of other banana breads I have made using oil and butter so will make this on again.