You should change your mattress every 8 years if you want to enjoy the best quality of sleep, but how do you choose the right mattress to suit your needs? Here, we take a look at the basics of choosing so you can make the right decision for you.
There are several different kinds of a mattress on the market and the right one for you will depend on your own preferences. Some of the options include:
- Memory foam – these supportive mattresses contour to the shape of your body and relieve pressure. While some are very hot, newer memory foam mattresses are cooler and more comfortable. If you want a mattress that shapes to your body and offers excellent support, this is a good choice for you.
- Latex – made from latex foam, these mattresses are comfortable and cool, with lots of bounce and responsiveness. If you want a cooler but contoured sleep, this is the choice for you.
- Coils – coil mattresses are the most popular choice with layers of sprung coils which offer comfort and support. They are an ideal choice for those wanting a traditional option with plenty of bounce and support.
- Pillow top – there are lots of different pillow top mattresses. These have a soft material layer in the cover for extra cushioning and softness.
- Hybrid – made from a combo of memory foam, coils, latex, and other materials, a hybrid mattress maximizes the benefits and reduces the drawbacks. If you want the best of everything with excellent support, cooling, comfort, and bounce, a hybrid mattress is good for you.
What’s Your Budget?
Some mattresses are cheaper than others so you’ll need to choose one that fits your criteria and your budget. You’ll find the best deals online usually but bear in mind that a high price doesn’t necessarily mean a better quality mattress. That said, don’t go for a really cheap mattress as it won’t last a long time, and will often be lower quality.
Mattresses come in different firmness levels, and it’s hard to choose the right one for you when you’re buying online. It’s often easier to try mattresses out instore and then buy online if you can find a better deal. Everyone has different preferences when it comes to hardness and softness of a mattress. Also, weight, body type, and size are all relevant factors to take into account. You need to choose a mattress which doesn’t create pressure points and keeps your spine properly aligned. Some mattresses offer a “universal comfort” rating with a single firmness level and foams which have been structured to suit all kinds of sleepers. These are perfect for people who share a bed.
Another element to bear in mind is the position you prefer to sleep in as this will impact on your mattress firmness. Side sleepers need a soft or medium firmness level to contour effectively to the side sleeping position. A firm mattress will create pressure points that cause neck, shoulder or back pain. Back sleepers need a more firm mattress to support the spine effectively while stomach sleepers also need a firmer base to sleep on.
Your bodyweight is important too. If you weigh under 150lbs you’ll probably prefer a universal comfort mattress however people weighing between 150 and 200lbs often prefer a medium or medium firm mattress. People weighing over 200lbs often need a softer mattress however this is down to your own personal preferences.
What size mattress will you need? Do you require a twin size mattress for a smaller bed? These are really best suited to children’s rooms or for occasional use in spare bedrooms since they are narrow and often don’t leave enough room for adults to stretch out and get comfortable. A double is ideal for an adult single sleeper, but for most couples, king size or even a super king would be a better choice if the bedroom size allows. Of course, you’ll need to make sure that you choose a mattress which is the right size for your existing bed base or frame, otherwise, it won’t fit properly!
Follow these top tips and enjoy a great night’s sleep on your new mattress!
This post may contain affiliate links and I might receive compensation if you make a purchase after clicking on a link.
Buying Guide for Mattress: How to Buy at The Right Price
Best Tips That Will Help You Buy a New Mattress Online
6 Reasons Why Buying the Right Mattresses Matters – Boost Your Health!