My Traditional Family Cherry Slice Bar ~ I found this recipe in a newspaper over 43 years ago and have baked it every year since mostly for the Holidays Thanksgiving and Christmas, unless its a very special occasion and sometimes that means family get together and BBQ’s!! And the neighbors love them!! You can make this several days before, cut ice and stack on parchment paper, store in fridge until ready to serve.
TIP: I use an extra long piece foil to cover a 13×9 pan, turn pan upside down lay foil over bottom to form another pan, (dull side up) then insert this into the baking pan. You could also use parchment paper in the same way. This will act like a liner so when the bars are completely cooled you can lift the bars out of the pan, peel edges away from sides ( before icing ). I use a long knife to cut into squares, then drizzle icing. This gives the bars an individual appearance and prettier for display!
- Cookie Crust:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cube butter or 1/4 cup cup butter
- 2 Tbsp powder sugar
- Mix ingredients until crumbly, press in 9x13 pan Bake ONLY 12 minutes 375
- 2nd Layer
- In small bowl mix ingredients well
- 1 cup sliced maraschino cherries (reserve juice from cherries for icing)
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- pinch of sale
- 1 cup chopped nuts (your choice) walnuts, pecans, etc
- Remove from pan with tip from above before icing. Pull down edges of foil from sides
- 1 cup powder sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. milk
- 3/4 tsp. reserved cherry juice
- Mix together milk, ½ teaspoon almond extract and powdered sugar.
- Whisk together until there are no more lumps and drizzle over cooled bars.
- Cut into 1 ½ inch squares and serve.
- Mix together and spread over crust, bake 25 minutes or until
- toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool
And now I would like to invite you to share
all the sweet treats you make for the Holidays.
Add your recipes and then visit to share others
Wishing you all Happy Holidays!!
An old time favorite recipe for the holidays. https://t.co/Yp7K4GnFfV pic.twitter.com/D8CDcFQczW— LvMomsReviewer (@LVMomsreviews) December 1, 2021
Twitter | Bloglovin | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram
If you have Linky Recipe Exchanges for others to share, be sure to let me know below in “comments” and I will add them to this post as each comes in.
4 Replies to “Cherry Slice Bars Recipe”