Southwestern Egg Rolls From All Recipes
Cinco de Mayo is coming up and I am reminded of good foods to make at home or if we go out for a bite to eat I thought of Southwestern Egg Rolls. This is probably my favorite appetizer to order as a meal at Chilies, they are very filling and are delicious with the avocado sauce that is served with them or a dolp of sour cream. They are fairly easy to make once ingredients are prepped. You can make them ahead an cook in hot oil just before serving with your favorite dips, rice and beans.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons frozen chopped spinach,
- thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 5 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 quart oil for deep frying
- Rub 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over chicken breast. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook chicken approximately 5 minutes per side, until meat is no longer pink and juices run clear. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in green onion and red pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until tender.
- Dice chicken and mix into the pan with onion and red pepper. Mix in corn, black beans, spinach, jalapeno peppers, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until well blended and tender. Remove from heat and stir in Monterey Jack cheese so that it melts.
- 4. Wrap tortillas with a clean, lightly moist cloth. Microwave on high approximately 1 minute, or until hot and pliable.
- Spoon even amounts of the mixture into each tortilla. Fold ends of tortillas, then roll tightly around mixture. Secure with toothpicks. Arrange in a medium dish, cover with plastic, and place in the freezer. Freeze at least 4 hours.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat oil for deep frying to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Deep fry frozen, stuffed tortillas 10 minutes each, or until dark golden brown. Drain on paper towels before serving.
For other fun recipes I found
And a recipe to go with the egg rolls Creamy Tomatillo Avocado Salsa Chicken Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa. Fast, fresh, and so, so good. The salsa is good on it’s own but does something really special to simple chicken tacos.// I found on Valeries Kitchen
Do you have yummy recipes you like to make for Cinco De Mayo, you can share them or any favorite recipe.